Looking after our own teeth is a daily ritual, dutifully performed to avoid dreaded dental pain… but what about our dogs?
Dogs are five times more likely to develop gum disease than humans* as dogs have a more alkaline mouth, promoting plaque formation. If left untreated, canine gum disease can cause irreversible damage and pain.
Here are 5 reasons we need to reconsider the amount of care we offer our pets in the dental department:
1. Preventing tooth loss. When the structures supporting a dog’s, teeth become damaged or infected, the teeth loosen and fall out. Good dog dental care will ensure that those teeth-supporting structures stay healthy and keep the teeth in place.
2. Preventing bad breath. If a whiff of your dog’s breath makes you recoil in horror, it’s time for some good dental care! When your dog has a healthy mouth and healthy dog teeth, bad breath won’t be a problem. The Arm & Hammer Dental Spray is perfect for everyday cleaning and maintenance. Simple and easy to use, there’s no rinsing or brushing required.
3. Preventing oral pain. Dental disease, especially when it’s severe, can be quite painful for dogs. Keeping your dog’s teeth and gums healthy will help prevent oral pain. You can top-up your routine by adding a cap full of Arm & Hammer Dental Water Additive to your dog’s water bowl.
4. Preventing organ damage. Bacteria in the plaque can enter the bloodstream and spread to the heart, kidneys, and liver. This spread of bacteria, called bacteremia, can damage organs and make dogs quite sick. Good oral health will help prevent bacteremia and subsequent organ damage.
5. Preventing worsening dental disease. Sadly, 80% of dogs have dental disease by the time they’re 3 years old. However, good dog dental care can prevent dental disease from becoming severe and causing problems throughout the body. Try our Arm & Hammer Dental Kit. It’s the perfect starter pack for you and your new dog. The kit contains everything you’ll need to provide great dental care, including a gentle silicone finger brush, which is ideal for introducing your dog to toothbrushing.
Don’t forget! Just because puppies lose their teeth doesn’t mean their gums don’t need care and attention. Check out the Arm & Hammer puppy care products too.
Sources: * The Kennel Club
Arm & Hammer products are available from Jollyes, Fetch, Amazon and all good pet shops